Life force vs law of attraction

Discussion in 'Your Contemplations, Insights and Ponderings' started by Em1, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Em1

Em1 Active Member

I've been thinking about the difference between life force and law of attraction. To put it in a simple example: You're short on cash but need to go to grocery store for a few things. For whatever reason you end up at a different grocery store than normal. It turns out all the items you need are on clearance (practically giving them away). Was life force pushing you to be at that specific place at that time? Did you attract something you needed? Or, is it possible you had a precognitive moment? (you subconsciously knew you would get that good deal.)

I get a gut feeling with jobs - I look at a lot of job listings (with similar descriptions/job duties) but I usually know immediately whether I'll land it with high accuracy. I remember years ago - my boss did something that really pissed me off so I started looking for a new job on a work computer (something I never did). The first website I went to had a featured job on the front page that was an exact fit (very unusual). I applied, got an email back a couple hours later, and was hired a few days later. If I had waited and checked the job website from home, the ad would have already been taken down. The circumstances felt like flow, but I also had the intuition that this job was apart of my future... and it turned out to be one of my favorite jobs ever.

I had something similar happen this week where I need to hire someone for a job and the next day someone came to me. It's still in play but my gut is that it's going to work out perfectly. But I wonder if I had a precognition that made me start looking for someone... or if it was the other way around: life created this problem but also brought me the solution.

2. Markus

Markus Active Member

Your examples would be what I call 'going with the flow.' Life dropped the breadcrumbs, you were keen enough to notice and follow the clues. And 'intuition', sensing the need to apply for the job now instead of later.

In your last example, it could be that life was lining things up for both you and your hire; you intuited that something was afoot and thus began thinking about it.

I've seen many examples of this in life. I once got unexpected bonus pay from work; a week later it was followed by an unexpected expense in my house - I had sensed to not get excited and buy anything, and gladly heeded that sense. Or like you tell, going someplace I otherwise don't go and meeting someone who had something useful to offer.

I thought 'life force' was about whether something was alive or not? LoA seems like an overused term now, but I thought it was about how our outer experience lines up with our inner state of being. Maybe it is not clear to me what each term really means...

Em1 likes this.
  3. Pensieve

Pensieve Member

I think there is a difference between life force and law of attraction. I have found that you cannot be effortless with LOA: forced positivity, continuous thoughts of what you desire, daily affirmations. There is nothing wrong with this but it becomes limited and oppressive. I think with life force, although so hard, one has to surrender to it. For example, my health has been slowly deterioting. This did not seem like my usual chronic pain and it has left me house bound. I kept imagining being healthy and trying to allow everything but inside I was still fighting life to death. It was not until I could not take it anymore and was sure I was dying. Well I told the universe or god or life force, that I surrendered. All I wanted now was the truth. I was sooo done fighting. I just asked that if I am one with life then I can trust life for that is who I am! No lies, a couple of hours later my mother told me about this doctor that helped her brothers' friend. The next day, I said I want to go to this doctor. And my mother told me that I was not going to have a choice anyway lol.
    Well it turns out I have lymes, mono, chronic fatigue, walking pnemonia, arthritis, and candida.

I think what I learned from this is that LOA was used wrongly. It does not want people to use positive affirmations or disable their dark emotions. It wants you to trust yourself because that is trusting the universe and that is trusting life. And after that LOA can come in a do the job it wants for you and what you want.

Em1 and Harry like this.
  4. Saraswati

Saraswati Active Member

@Em1: Life force is simply the force for lack of a better word. The LOA is the direction of that force. The direction or actually magnetism of the force is the unconscious belief system. What I read in your writing is that you have a deep belief (even though you may not even be consciously aware of that) in an abundant providing universe and that belief shapes the direction or magnetism of the force thus you draw to you what you desire/need automatically without "effort".

5. Shiv

Shiv Active Member

For the most part I reject the LOA teachings not because I believe they are false, but mostly because they are limited and one-sided at best and pretty much miss the greater point.

First, if there is an LOA there must be an LOR (Law of Repulsion) as well. Life has two polarities, so these two forces will always be acting in tandem. Focusing only on the attraction part is not only naive, but it is ultimately misleading.

As with any force, a movement in one direction is a movement away from another. With everything that you attract you repel something else. So every opportunity gained is also an opportunity missed. I am not referring to those temporary windfalls of cash or those sudden moments of serendipity. Those are just circumstantial momentary events which don't have any bearing on the overall scheme of things. The movement of life has little to do with isolated instances and more essentially to do with the general curve of your experience.

Positive events do not necessarily imply an overall net positive experience of life, just as negative events do not imply an overall net negative experience of life. The fact that most LOA based literature focuses almost exclusively on manufacturing positive events shows me how grossly off the mark it is. I know genuinely happy people who have had a lot of bad breaks in life and a lot of miserable people to whom life has handed everything on a golden platter.

With any reality that comes into your life, there will be aspects of it that attract you and aspects of it that do not. How you respond to both will determine the overall experience. Generally, people who are preoccupied with attracting positive realities are simultaneously preoccupied with avoiding negative ones. When there are such polar forces operating within yourself it is quite impossible to truly go with the flow. Because there is no way to respond flexibly to the polar events life presents when you have your own strongly polar desires driving you. Then it all becomes a game of luck. When life goes the way we want it to there are feelings of elation, whereas when it directly contradicts there are feelings of depression.

Instead, if we come to understand that no matter what realities we attract, they will always have certain attractive elements to it and certain repulsive elements then our own desires begin to relax a bit more in their intensity. Transitions from one reality to another always seem terrifying and exciting, yet when the new reality settles in after a while it develops the same qualities of mundaness and ordinariness as the old. Regardless, of what you do and where you live, how you experience life remains the same.

I am of the belief that one reason Life offers us fortunate experiences is to show us that these fortunate experiences are really not as great as we make them out to be, in fact they are ultimately quite ordinary. And when it offers unfortunate experiences it is to show us that these experiences are also not as terrible as we make them out to be, that in the end these too are really quite ordinary.

Only from this state of recognizing this 'ordinariness' of all life's events can one actually truly let go into the flow. Because up until that point we may think we are going with the flow, whereas really we are just pleased that for the time being Life happens to be going with our flow.

6. Em1

Em1 Active Member

What you describe sounds like LOA, which I actually don't believe in or follow (in a traditional sense). It's funny cause I almost didn't put law of attraction in the title but didn't know the language to use to describe what I'm sensing. Now that you point it out, LOA doesn't seem the right way to explain it (in a conscious or intuitive way)

I don't believe that we consciously have the power to "attract" anything - especially the things we want. We can get things we want but it generally takes effort. I think where we do have power is to remove barriers. When we do that, we're more in touch with something... I don't know how to explain it but it just seems that's the time when we can see clearly the thing that we couldn't see before. Or when a new opportunity comes along to take you in a new direction.

Take a person who is single but desperately wants to get married. With LOA (the traditional view), all they have to do is wish for a great partner to come along. But they may self-sabotage those opportunities because of unconscious beliefs - they aren't deserving of a good relationship, they're afraid of commitment, etc etc... If you're afraid of commitment (unconsciously), you might be attracting people who are noncommittal - which is the opposite of what you are seeking. One we remove those barriers (learning more about our unconscious beliefs) that's when your chances of getting what you want increase. But, it also seems that opportunities will come your way (in an uncanny way) at these points in life... but maybe it's always been there and you just couldn't see it.

When I'm feeling that pull or intuition to something I generally don't view it as negative or positive - that's another reason I have trouble seeing it as LOA. In retrospect is when you say, "that was a good decision" or "I dodged a bullet by doing that."

7. Saraswati

Saraswati Active Member

@Em1: The way I see it LOA doesn't require a belief. It just is. We are always attracting and this has to do with our "vibration" which can have little to do with what we consciously "think" we are or should attract. The proof is in the pudding so to speak, look at what you are attracting and you know where you are at vibrationally. The positive thinking can help because thoughts are definitely connected to vibration but often there is no real integration of the thought into an actual feeling/vibration and that's the real attractor.

In terms of "power" the power is in being. To attract you must first be. This is rather ironic because if you want to attract wealth you must first be wealthy. If you want to attract praise you must first be praise worthy, but again, this is on a vibrational level not a thought of "I am praise worthy". The world shows you where you are at and if you don't like it, I agree with you about removing barriers. The barriers are the ideas such as "I am poor" etc. but again this is all on a vibrational level and too much left brain thinking such as with mental obsessions, OCD etc never allow feeling to be acknowledged and let go of thus the vibration stays the same.

I think we naturally attract what we really desire when we stop trying and as you say remove (let go of) barriers.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Em1 likes this.