Copyrights.. Where's Sen?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mustafa, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Mustafa

Mustafa Active Member

Founder of Mastermind International.
    Home Page:
    Hello there Everybody,

It's been such a long time since I interacted with you guys in this forum.
    It is such a beautiful thing to see that there are still the "good ones" Sharing their perspectives And experiences with others.

For a couple years now, I found that Sen's teaching And articles are absolutely Empowering and enlightening in so many aspects.
    However, as far as I'm concerned he does not do coaching nor training Or has any book Written, that I'm aware of it At least.

I really deeply want to teach some of the things that he teaches. I also have a few questions that I like to ask him.
    So does anyone know where he stands on copyrights? can we teach what he wrote? would it be a preaching of his copyrights?
    and also does anyone know a way to reach him or where he is now?

I would really appreciate you guys helping me out with this. Because of my own values, I Kept struggling with myself from openly teaching his teachings, with exceptions of the idea of the six dimensions of the mind and the dark and light aspects of reality and the teachings of letting go And Total openness.

I would love to get the copyrights, and even willing to pay him, for me to go and openly teach what I Learned from him..

Even if you don't know, it would be nice to hear from @Shiv , @Joanna , @Saraswati , @julia , @anagum , and the rest..

Thank you so much.

Love,
    Mustafa

julia and Em1 like this.
  2. Saraswati

Saraswati Active Member

Hi Mustafa!! Good to hear from you!!

In answer to your question I would say to contact the forum moderator.

You can't patent a concept however, so if you want to teach Sen's concepts you can put them into your own format and teach them.

Mustafa likes this.
  3. Mustafa

Mustafa Active Member

Home Page:
    HELLO THERE Sara! Long time no.. Interact? lol!
    Glad to see you still rocking here!

You are absolutely right. I knew that Concepts and principles Cannot be copyrighted. And of course everything that I teach, has my own uniqueness.

Do you know *how* to contact/reach the moderator??

THANKS!

4. Harry

Harry Active Member

@Mustafa
    You can contact distant horizon regarding this issue. Also , in the blog, he had already laid down rules and regulations.
    So, go luck then for ur mission.
    Also, if u live in Saudi [though , I hadn't visited the kingdom], but what I had heard , it wud be difficult for u. I heard there are stricter rules of Sharia [the most hard core interpretation of Sharia that is implemented in the Kingdom] and any disalignment from the it wud invite serious consequences.Also, if u raise the consciousness of the people , that there is great danger that they might revolt against the monarchy and the the monarchy there brutally supresses any such type of thing.
    I might be wrong on all these things becos my source of information is net. But thought, I want u to be xtremely cautious in taking decision.
    Once again , good luck.

5. Mustafa

Mustafa Active Member

Home Page:
    @Harry, THANKS A LOT for your concern.
    I have been training, teaching, coaching, speaking for almost 6 years, so I'm very aware of what's going. And you're right to an extent IF one does "public" lectures/events AND simultaneously if they include things that are "way out there" from *their* perspectives. Otherwise, I believe it's all alright

6. Shiv

Shiv Active Member

@Mustafa - First, there is a difference between copyrights and patents. Copyrights have to do with ideas and protecting the expression of these ideas. Copyrighted material is something that cannot be used or replicated without the permission of the author. It can be anything from written material to photography to artwork. But patenting has to do with inventing a product. A patented product is something that is recognized as being completely unique in its design or conception and cannot be imitated by anyone in any way.

I don't think wisdom (or basic common sense for that matter) can be patented. The wisdom and guidance in Sen's blog is not something new and draws upon wisdom that has been expressed innumerable times over the centuries. However, what is unique is his own voice and his personal flavor in articulating that wisdom. Once again, I don't know if that is something that can be patented either, but it can be (and is) copyrighted.

There are some teachers/coaches who lay out a step by step program or course of action for people to follow such as Byron Katie, Jon kabat-Zinn and others. That sort of thing (although one may argue is equally common sense) can be patented. Because it is not so much an idea as it is a plan or technique or course of study. And a plan/technique/course of study being a tangible product can to that extent be patented by the author.

It all depends on how the author markets their ideas : as an idea or as a product. Sen's website doesn't appear to market his teachings as a patentable product. There are no 'registered trademark' or 'rights reserved' symbols attached to any of his teachings or terms. So, in that sense, to answer your question it seems unlikely to me that you may be able to use his teachings as a product to then teach yourself: like a syllabus or course. But I may be wrong, @distanthorizon would be the one to check in with regarding this.

Em1 likes this.
  7. Mustafa

Mustafa Active Member

Home Page:
    @Shiv , Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I absolutely agree with the idea that what is being taught by him or you Or myself, Is not something that we "invented", But rather something that we've collected, sometimes from many teachers and so very many personal experiences and personal conclusions, and We are simply sharing that From our own perspective and in our own unique voices.

I believe copyrights in this whole idea, is one that is very "gray", and not black and white.
    The only three ideas that I want to teach, and found them to be very uniquely expressed by him are:

The idea of dark and light aspects of reality and our minds/selves.
    The techniques of total openness and complete allowing, as a means of releasing the suppressed/Overly identified with momentum.
    And the six Mind's dimensions. "I actually personally added A seventh one, I believe lack is one of the dimensions of the mind, And suppressing it causes imbalances".

Actually the more I'm releasing my own hangups and fears and rigidities, The less this whole thing bothers me. Because I've been studying for the past 7~8 years or so. And from so very many sources and teachers. Even if I said something is "mine" It's not actually mine. It is simply my own unique understanding and expression of perspectives and teachings and understandings of many others.. I believe the same is almost for everybody.

But yes I will contact @distanthorizon , And see this matter once and for all.

Thank you so much again!

8. Em1

Em1 Active Member

There is nothing proprietary about these ideas - like Shiv said it'd have to be a formalized system to get a patent and a work (published book) to get a copyright. The only thing I'd be concerned about is if you're directly quoting from his writing. That can be a copyright infringement if you directly take words and dont give a proper citation (or claim them as your own). If you're just paraphrasing it's good to credit the source, too... "This idea came from..."

9. Mustafa

Mustafa Active Member

Home Page:
    @Em1 , THANK YOU!